Since 1981, The MA office of Quaker Special Risk has been helping agents and brokers throughout New England develop unique insurance coverages for their clients. Quaker Special Risk is one of few Privately-Owned Surplus Lines brokers in the US. We are Independent, allowing us to be flexible & quick to adapt in the ever-changing E&S marketplace. For more than 35 years, we have been offering the broadest coverage available from the strongest “A rated” insurance carriers in the industry – most of which Quaker remains a top-tier producer, giving us elite status. We represent over 15 binding authority carriers and have access to over 100 brokerage markets. At Quaker Special Risk, we are committed to providing you with innovative Products. Combining the carriers we represent, with generous in-house binding authorities, we are able to provide the correct solutions, tailored to meet the needs of your clients. To pursue our commitment to excellence, we focus on a TEAM approach to ensure that you receive the best possible service.
We have over 285 combined years of underwriting experience between our Staff and this expertise flows down throughout all of the organization.
- 1981 – Our matriarch, Karin Branscombe, started the agency in 1981 and is responsible for its overall operation. Karin serves on various E&S carriers’ Agency advisory councils. After 36 years of management, she is our go-to for all things insurance!
- 1985 – James Hawkins specializes in Property, Casualty, and Excess accounts. Jim has spent his successful career fostering loyal relationships with agents across Massachusetts. You would be hard-pressed to find an insurance agent who does not know and love “the Hawk!”
- 1988 – Jim Andreoli specializes in Property, Casualty, Environmental, and Excess. His areas of expertise are with contractors and real estate accounts. Jim serves on the Agency Council of several E&S Carriers. He is a member of the Holy Cross Varsity Club, New England Surplus Lines Association, and the Worcester County Insurance Association. He holds the CPCU designation, as well as ASLI. He sits on the boards of several Non-Profit organizations locally. What doesn’t this guy do?!
- 1994 – Cathy Telemaque is responsible for handling Personal Lines renewals and new business, particularly Builder’s Risk and Renovation accounts.
- 1995 – Tony O’Donnell specializes in Brokerage Property and Casualty Insurance. He provides insurance services to retail agents in MA, CT, RI and NH. Tony earned his CPCU designation in 2000, his ASLI the same year, and he is a licensed P&C Broker in MA. He also has an awesome British accent!
- 1996 – Marilyn Boykin works directly with Liam Staunton, underwriting Commercial Lines business.
- 2002 – Liam Staunton is a member of NAPSLO Next Generation, Holy Cross Club of Boston and Young Insurance Agents of MA. He holds both CIC and the ASLI designations. Liam’s concentrations include General Contractors and Environmental accounts.
- 2003 – Mary Roy specializes in High Valued Homeowners insurance placements for high-net-worth clients. In addition, Mary manages the Personal Lines department. Mary also serves on the Board of Directors for YOU Inc., a private, non-profit child welfare and behavioral health organization.
- 2008 – Phil McGinnis wears 2 hats here at QSR. Phil concentrates on both P&C business as well as the Admitted High Valued Homeowners Programs. He has obtained his P&C license, ASLI designation, and CIC designation. Prior to joining QSR, Kara Carrier worked for 10 years at The Hanover Insurance Group in Personal Lines. Her main duties include handling all aspects of Personal Lines Admitted accounts.
- 2009 – Amanda Mitchell’s responsibilities include quoting both new and renewal Personal Lines business.
- 2010 – Tim Redfern started in our Accounting Dept but soon found his calling, working closely with Tony O’Donnell on Commercial accounts. Josh Carrignant graduated from Salve Regina University with a Bachelor’s degree in History/Secondary Education and from Framingham State University with a Master’s degree in Business Administration. His main work includes underwriting Personal Umbrella and Personal Liability accounts.
- 2011 – Austin Chamberlain joined Quaker Special Risk after graduating from Nichols College with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Business Administration. Austin handles both new and renewal Personal Lines accounts. Marvin Andre is responsible for assisting Jim Andreoli in Commercial Lines business.
- 2012 – We found a lot of Talent in 2012! Tim Riordan has 15 years of experience in the customer service and financial services industries. Prior to finding his home here with us as a Personal Lines broker, Tim was with The Hanover Insurance Group. Brian Siequist came on board right after graduating from Quinsigamond Community College with an Associate’s Degree in Criminal Justice. His humor keeps the Personal Lines Department always laughing. After over 30 years’ experience working in Commercial Lines, Carol Kavorkian transferred to the Professional Liability team. Carol holds a P&C license in 23 states. Laura Daniels worked at QSR from 2012-2014, when she moved to Seattle, working as an Account Manager for a large middle market retail agency. She couldn’t stay away long because she came back home to MA in 2016 – and we are happy she did!
- 2013 – EJ Bradley joined Quaker right after graduated from Roger Williams University with a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Management. He works directly with Jim Hawkins, underwriting Commercial Lines accounts. Melissa Beausoleil is our “Jill of all Trades” here at QSR, but works mostly on Commercial endorsements & renewals. Michelle Abasciano holds a P&C license in MA. Her main responsibility is underwriting Professional Lines new & renewal business.
- 2014 – Lori Budz is responsible for handling middle market Personal Lines renewals and new business. Lori has over 17 years of Personal Lines experience, previously working for AMICA Mutual Insurance Co. Ken Ferris’ main responsibility is underwriting Commercial Lines Renewal accounts.
- 2015 – Riley McLaughlin’s main responsibility is assisting with Commercial Lines renewals.
- 2016 – Susan Wild spent her first 10 years in insurance as a retailer, followed by 3 years with a local aggregator, and then the next 15 years as a Surplus Lines broker. Susan achieved her ELITE certification in 1990, became a licensed P&C Broker in 1992, and obtained her CISR and CIC designations in 1997 and 2001, respectively. Susan is a member of Women in Insurance in New England and sits on the executive board of the Xaverian Brother’s High School Alumni Parents’ Council. Thomas Prokopspecializes in Professional Liability, particularly cyber liability coverage and claims. Prior to joining Quaker, Tom was a partner at Morrison Mahoney LLP, focusing on insurance defense law, especially as it pertains to first party property, liability, and bad faith claims. Not only is Tom our in-house legal consultant, but he also oversees the handling of claims for which Quaker has delegated authority. Tom is a member of state and federal bar in both MA & RI. He is also a member of the Professional Liability Underwriting Society.
This commitment to personalized service is the foundation on which we build long-term partnerships with you, our clients, and the many insurance companies we represent. Thank you for helping make Quaker Special Risk the top Independent Excess & Surplus Lines Wholesaler in the Northeast. We look forward to serving you for many years to come!
Please click here to learn more about our awesome employees!